Re: Kernel swapping for newbies.

Subject: Re: Kernel swapping for newbies.
From: Troy Benjegerdes (hozer@drgw.net)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 15:16:59 MST

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Ben Donley wrote:

> Here's my saga:
>
> I wanted to install the new Xpmac (supposedly accelerated for the mach64 chip,
> or something.) It told me I needed glibc 2.1.3 or better and kernel 2.2.10 or
> better.
>
> I figured that all I needed to do to use the new kernel was to download it,
> gunzip it, put it in my Mac OS system folder, and tell BootX to use it.
>
> When I rebooted, I got a million error messages telling me that my
> /boot/System.map didn't match my kernel. So I put back the old kernel.

You can either

a) Ignore the warnings (my usual favorite ;)

b) get the System.map that matches the kernel you downloaded and replace
the existing System.map

You should probably also get the modules that correspond with the kernel
you downloaded. Wherever you downloaded them from should have the modules.
This may not actually be necessary unless you get messages like 'can't
load module xxxx' or some things have mysteriously quit working with the
new kernel.

> I have all kinds of theories on what I should try to do next, but they're all
> fundamentally flawed...
>
> How do you upgrade the kernel in Yellow Dog Linux?
>
> I'm running the Champion Server 1.1 with minimal changes.
>
> - Ben

| Troy Benjegerdes | troy@blacklablinux.com | hozer@drgw.net |
| Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first. |
| This message composed with 100% free software. http://www.gnu.org |