Sawtooth G4 w/ Sonic EtherFE 10/100 NIC

Subject: Sawtooth G4 w/ Sonic EtherFE 10/100 NIC
From: Sverre Johan Tøvik (sverre@tibe.no)
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 04:19:15 MST

Hi,

Some questions from a newbie here...

I can't get networking to work on our G4 (Sawtooth, 350 MHz). It has
a Sonic card with a "DEC/Intel 21143" chip, which should work - but
doesn't. First I installed the ibook.9 kernel, and when I run
ifconfig it crashes. Today I installed the ibook.10 kernel, but this
one crashes during boot. I tried downloading the new modules and
System.map - the modules I'm not sure what to do with (doh :-) ), but
I think I did the right thing with System.map, because a bunch of
error messages that used to appear during boot has gone away. But, I
still can't get the NIC to work.

In case it matters, I've also got an Apaptec 2940U2W card with an 18
GB U2 disk installed, but the disk is not in use (it's not even
formatted yet) - only the standard 10 GB IDE disk.

I've downloaded the patches from
<URL:http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/test.html> (released together
with the ibook.10 binary kernel sometime in the last 12 hours), but I
haven't been able to locate the "Alan Cox" kernel yet... :-)

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Sverre Johan Toevik
TIBE Reklamebyraa

P.S. Our resident linux guru has gone home for the holidays, so I'm
stuck with trying to make the network work... :-/ (He'll do the rest
if I can just make the network up...)

--
<disclaimer> I speak for myself only! </disclaimer>
"to be yourself, in a world that tries, night and day, to make you just