updating the kernel

Subject: updating the kernel
From: B (grisinge@cs.colostate.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 10:37:47 MST

Anyone out there terribly bored and want to help me with a (probably)
simple question?

I am brand new to YDL, bought it yesterday at the high tech home
office in Loveland. I got BenH's vmlinux.ibook.10
(http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/vmlinux.ibook.10) to boot on my
iMac DV. I used yaboot and the following yaboot.config file (if
anyone else is interested):
            image=hd:10,vmlinux.ibook.10
              label=linux
              novideo
              root=/dev/hda14
            image=hd:10,vmlinux.ibook.10
              label=install
              initrd=hd:10,ramdisk.image.gz
              novideo

I then ran install from the boot prompt and loaded YDL with the
installer from the install CD. This leads to my problem. I cannot
yet get any kind of window manager to work, since I cannot get my
mouse to work, so I installed YDL to just start me up at the command
line. That works fine. Now, how can I now update the kernel here.
Is there any way that I can put files into a MacOS partition and read
them from Linux? I figure that this way until I get my YDL up and
running competently on its own I can just grab files from a Mac
partition. If this is not possible, should I be able to read my
external USB Zip? If so where would I find my ZIP in Linux? Thanks
for any help and certainly patience with what I am sure are
sophomoric questions.

--
-B