Re: Sawtooth G4 w/ Sonic EtherFE 10/100 NIC

Subject: Re: Sawtooth G4 w/ Sonic EtherFE 10/100 NIC
From: Sverre Johan Tøvik (sverre@tibe.no)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 13:29:41 MST

OK, I followed your instructions as far as I could... Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded general linux-2.2.13 kernel
2. Downloaded and applied Alan Cox's 2.2.14-pre16 patch
3. Downloaded and applied "paulus' usb patches"
4. Downloaded and applied "benh's ibook patches"

5. Made pmac_config
6. Made menuconfig, turn on "M" on all currently included network
cards, and the "tulip"
7. Downloaded and substituded newest "tulip" driver
8. Made depends
9. Made clean
10. Made [not!] vmlinux
... here's where it stopped... got an error in "kernel.o": "undefined
call to 'map_bootx_text' in 'setup.arch'" and "exit, Error 1".

I first tried commenting out the "CONFIG_BOOTX_TEXT=y" line in
.config, but that didn't help. Then I tried commenting out the call
itself (in '/arch/ppc/kernel/setup.c', which is where I found
'setup.arch' to be), and the kernel compiled - but when I booted it,
the screen just went black. (And I _did_ "make modules", "make
modules_install", "cp vmlinux /boot/", "cp System.map /boot/" and "cp
vmlinux /MacOS/vmlinux.ibook.sverre".) Figured that might have
something to do with the function in question being used to configure
the graphics card...(?). So I tried re-writing the function
('map_bootx_text', declared in "proc.c" in the same directory as
'setup.c") in 'setup.c', instead of the 'extern void
map_bootx_text(void)', but that just gives the same error. Thinking
now that the fault may be some function _used by_ 'map_bootx_text',
and not the function itself..?

Can anyone help? I'm getting kinda frustrated here... :-/

BTW; In case it matters, I'm using yaboot 0.4 for, not BootX. Hmm...
A thought... Maybe it would work if I put "novideo" in the
yaboot.conf file? But it did work without that with
vmlinux.ibook.9... Hmf...

Regards,

Sverre Johan Toevik, "on air" with a PowerBook, on a ferry...

--
<disclaimer> I speak for myself only! </disclaimer>
"to be yourself, in a world that tries, night and day, to make you just