Re: glibc 2.1.3 and Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev6

Subject: Re: glibc 2.1.3 and Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev6
From: Kevin Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Sun Dec 26 1999 - 09:12:43 MST

Hi,

> Thanks. Release 0j got X started. But I am still having problems: first, X
> is hanging with a gray screen (including black bar on right and one line
> offset), and I need to do a hard reset.

Hmm, ... That's a new one to me. Did you make sure Xpmac has executable
priviledges? Have you tried it without any video driver in place? Anthony
Tong's video driver did (does?) not play well with Xpmac. I personally boot
with BootX with the "No video driver" box *CHECKED*. Ben's latest kernel is
supposed to fix this but I have not checked it yet?

> Should I run Xconfigurator or
> Xautoconfig?

No, do not run either. If you have run Xconfigurator since installing Xpmac,
you are no longer trying to run Xpmac. Xconfigurator resets the /etc/X11/X
symlink to point to XF68_FBDev and not Xpmac. So you probably want to go back
and check to see where /etc/X11/X points:

cd /etc/X11
ls -l X

> thought that (according to
> http://www.imaclinux.net:8080/content/945136977/index_html) the new rage
> 128-supporting Xpmac solved that problem.

I don't have an iBook so I really can't say. I use Xpmac all the time on my
B+W G3 and it works fine. Please check to see what kernel you are using (is it
BenH's latest?, that you have given Xpmac executable priviledges, that
/etc/X11/X points to Xpmac, and that you have not run Xconfigurator since
setting up that symlink.

Aside from that, try hitting Apple-key-Control-F1 to switch back to the console
and writing down any error message you see there and forwarding it to me.

Kevin