Re: glibc 2.1.3 and Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev6

Subject: Re: glibc 2.1.3 and Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev6
From: Nathaniel Strauss (nstrauss@bigfoot.com)
Date: Sun Dec 26 1999 - 10:27:08 MST

>Hi,
>>
>> Thanks. Release 0j got X started. But I am still having problems: first, X
>> is hanging with a gray screen (including black bar on right and one line
>> offset), and I need to do a hard reset.
>
>Hmm, ... That's a new one to me. Did you make sure Xpmac has executable
>priviledges? Have you tried it without any video driver in place? Anthony
>Tong's video driver did (does?) not play well with Xpmac. I personally boot
>with BootX with the "No video driver" box *CHECKED*. Ben's latest kernel is
>supposed to fix this but I have not checked it yet?

I'm actually booting out of open firmware. I tried with the video driver
off, and it still hung with a gray screen (although there was no bar or
line offset).

>I don't have an iBook so I really can't say. I use Xpmac all the time on my
>B+W G3 and it works fine. Please check to see what kernel you are using
>(is it
>BenH's latest?, that you have given Xpmac executable priviledges, that
>/etc/X11/X points to Xpmac, and that you have not run Xconfigurator since
>setting up that symlink.

This is all set up right. I never ran Xconfigurator, X points to Xpmac, the
kernel is BenH's latest (vmlinux.ibook.10, from 2.2.14pre16).

>Aside from that, try hitting Apple-key-Control-F1 to switch back to the
>console
>and writing down any error message you see there and forwarding it to me.

Thanks -- I didn't know that you could get out of X this way -- a major
convenience. With the rage128 driver on, I got the repeating message
"misaligned data in rage128im.c". With no driver, it just hung after saying
"Starting acceleration..."

(please cc to nstrauss@bigfoot.com)

Nate

-----
ATTENTION: My e-mail address has changed. My new address is
nstrauss@bigfoot.com . Please update your addressbook.
ATTENTION: My website has moved. My new website is
www.bigfoot.com/~nstrauss . Please make a note of it.