Re: Sawtooth G4 w/ Sonic EtherFE 10/100 NIC

Subject: Re: Sawtooth G4 w/ Sonic EtherFE 10/100 NIC
From: Troy Benjegerdes (hozer@drgw.net)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 11:34:58 MST

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Sverre Johan Tøvik wrote:

> >On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Sverre Johan T¯vik wrote:
> >
> >> OK, I followed your instructions as far as I could... Here's what I did:
> >>
> >> 1. Downloaded general linux-2.2.13 kernel
> >> 2. Downloaded and applied Alan Cox's 2.2.14-pre16 patch
> >> 3. Downloaded and applied "paulus' usb patches"
> >> 4. Downloaded and applied "benh's ibook patches"
> >
> >hrrm, I'd suggest emailing BenH about it.. I'm still working with his '9'
> >kernel revision.
>

> I'll do that...
>
> >Second question: Does the on-board ethernet not work? I'm assuming you
> >need the Sonic EtherFE for a reason.
>
> Nope, onboard "gmac" ethernet does not. See
> <URL:http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/test.html>

The Sawtooth I have has a Tulip chip built on the motherboard which works
quite nicely. The first G4's used a Tulip chip instead of the GMAC since
the GMAC had buggy hardware.. I *think* currently shipping machines are
still using the Tulip.

Do you know if your G4 has a tulip, or just the GMAC?

| Troy Benjegerdes | troy@blacklablinux.com | hozer@drgw.net |
| Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first. |
| This message composed with 100% free software. http://www.gnu.org |