Re: Glibc update and bind failures

Subject: Re: Glibc update and bind failures
From: Darron Froese (darron@fudgehead.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 12:40:00 MST

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Dan Burcaw wrote:

> > I just don't want to decimate my system by forcing a glibc downgrade.
>
> Just use: rpm -Uvh --oldpackage <old glibc packages>
> This will "upgrade" you to the older version.

Dan,

Thanks for the advice - I downgraded the glibc to the cs-1.1 and rolled my
own openssh and it seems to be working - no more dns lookup failures -
only time will tell though.

A question: When you update your glibc would it be wise to recompile
various programs (like bind in this case because that's the only program
that was misbehaving) and reinstall them?

I'm only asking because this was so odd - I didn't think that a glibc
update (from the cs-1.0 version to the ruff-pack0.5 version) could cause
this much havok.

Again, thanks for your help! I hope this has fixed it.

Darron
darron@fudgehead.com
<http://darron.odi.ca/>