Re: Sawtooth G4 w/ Sonic EtherFE 10/100 NIC

Subject: Re: Sawtooth G4 w/ Sonic EtherFE 10/100 NIC
From: Sverre Johan Tøvik (sverre@tibe.no)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 01:49:09 MST

>> >hrrm, I'd suggest emailing BenH about it.. I'm still working with his '9'
>> >kernel revision.
>>

>> I'll do that...
>>
>> >Second question: Does the on-board ethernet not work? I'm assuming you
>> >need the Sonic EtherFE for a reason.
>>
>> Nope, onboard "gmac" ethernet does not. See
>> <URL:http://calvaweb.calvacom.fr/bh40/test.html>
>
>The Sawtooth I have has a Tulip chip built on the motherboard which works
>quite nicely. The first G4's used a Tulip chip instead of the GMAC since
>the GMAC had buggy hardware.. I *think* currently shipping machines are
>still using the Tulip.
>
>Do you know if your G4 has a tulip, or just the GMAC?

The chip that I _think_ ( :-) ) is the ethernet chip is a "Broadcom
BCM5201"... There is another "chip" between it and the RJ-45
connector, but I think that's just a DIP resistor (the print label is
"T1"). Does that sound like a Tulip or a GMAC?

Regards,

Sverre Johan Toevik

--
<disclaimer> I speak for myself only! </disclaimer>
"to be yourself, in a world that tries, night and day, to make you just