Re: Telnet and VNC

Subject: Re: Telnet and VNC
From: Troy Benjegerdes (hozer@drgw.net)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 21:12:03 MST

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Weston Houghton wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I just quickly set up a machine and shipped it off to a hosting provider. I
> failed to check the machine and actually try to telnet into it before
> sending it off though (I know, stupid me...). Is incoming telnet disabled
> normally on a YDL install?

Yes, for security reasons (telnet sends cleartext passwords)

I would strongly recommend that you use SSH for remote logins. If you need
access from a machine without the ssh client, take a look at MindTerm, a
java terminal program + SSH client.
http://www.mindbright.se/mindterm/

> Also, what is the quickest way to change the IP address of a machine? With
> all other settings remaining the same, just changing the IP.

Edit

> And last, has anyone tried to build/install VNC under YDL?

Yes, the client works either out of the box or with a minor change.
Haven't really tried the server though.

| Troy Benjegerdes | troy@blacklablinux.com | hozer@drgw.net |
| Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first. |
| This message composed with 100% free software. http://www.gnu.org |