how to upgrade glibc

Subject: how to upgrade glibc
From: Robert Fout (rfout@damien.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 18:46:13 MST

Hello all,

I am posting this in the YDL list because I find I get a better response
here than with the MkLinux lists.

I have MkLinux DR3, with 2.0.37 kernel and server, not that that matters in
this group :)

How can I upgrade glibc without totally messing up my system? When I try to
install the RPM, it tells me I can't because it conflicts with the previous
version of glibc, and also states a list of programs need the libraries.
When I force the install, all my processes die (ps tells me there are no
running processes) and when I run ls or who, or almost anything else, I get
a segmentation fault, and a core dump. When I try to run reboot or shutdown
-r now, they also have segmentation faults, and core dumps. So I hard
reboot, and when it gets to mounting the root ext2 partition in read-only
mode, it freezes and won't continue.

Any help will be helpful,
Bob
"The knack to flying is learning how to