Re: how to upgrade glibc

Subject: Re: how to upgrade glibc
From: Neil Jolly (njolly@home.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 20:59:39 MST

Robert Fout wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am posting this in the YDL list because I find I get a better response
> here than with the MkLinux lists.
>
> I have MkLinux DR3, with 2.0.37 kernel and server, not that that matters in
> this group :)
>
> How can I upgrade glibc without totally messing up my system? When I try to
> install the RPM, it tells me I can't because it conflicts with the previous
> version of glibc, and also states a list of programs need the libraries.
> When I force the install, all my processes die (ps tells me there are no
> running processes) and when I run ls or who, or almost anything else, I get
> a segmentation fault, and a core dump. When I try to run reboot or shutdown
> -r now, they also have segmentation faults, and core dumps. So I hard
> reboot, and when it gets to mounting the root ext2 partition in read-only

The short and simple answer is youcan't upgrade to the new libraries. You need
to install the pre R1 release, which will soon be Release 1. The 2
distributions are incompatible. Sorry if that's not the answer you were
looking for.

--
Neil Jolly
Coming at you from Yellowdog Linux - another MICRO~1 free OS!