Re: Domain name server?

Subject: Re: Domain name server?
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 03:36:06 MST

Tim Long wrote:

> I have installed ydl on a mac G3 connected to an academic LAN. I have
> entered the IP adress during installation but was not sure what the
> domain name should be. The DNS here is 'uwic.ac.uk' Is that what I
> should enter for the DNS? I have managed to send mail but not receive
> it. Can I assign myself a user name and would my adress then be
> 'me@uwic.ac.uk'?

In order to receive mail on that box, it needs to have a unique name
that is known to the world. That name needs to be registered in the DNS,
otherwise you will only be able to use the IP address.

Get a domain name registered (like funkymachine.uwic.ac.uk) in the DNS,
and then tell your machine what it's name is, and it should work from
there.

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon