Re: Need help setting up PPP internet connection with an externalmodem...

Subject: Re: Need help setting up PPP internet connection with an externalmodem...
From: Greg DaCosta (atmgreg@theprovider.com)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 08:52:09 MST

Sam Archer wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I just installed linux on my machine a couple weeks ago. I'm currently
> using a powermac B&W G3(300mhz, 64mb RAM, 512 L2 cache) with a Best Data
> Smart One 56k USB modem. I'm using the newest version of Yellow Dog linux
> with gnome as my default window
> manager. I have attempted to set up a connection to the net using kppp,
> following all the standard directions for modem installation. I'm not sure
> what to do, I don't even know if linux has detected my modem. How can I find
> that out? If it is not detected, what can I do? What do I need to do as far
> as special installation goes, if any?

Sam,

I had similar problems getting PPP to work after installing Yellowdog. I found
a couple of things that might help you as they made it possible for me to get
connected. First off, go to bash , konsole or a terminal window and type:

netcfg &

This will bring up the network configurator. Look to see if there is a ppp0
entry under the interfaces tab. If there is, select it and then click on the
Edit button. If it is not there, click the Add button and create it. I'm not
sure what device your USB modem would be, my modem is connected to the modem
port which is ttyS0. Once you know that, switch back to the terminal window and
create a symbolic link from your modem's port to /dev/modem. For me it looked
like this:

 ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem your's may be different depending on how the usb
ports are mapped

Now switch to the netcfg window and click on the Hardware tab. With your 56K
modem you will probably want to have the Hardware Flow Control, Abort on well
known errors and Allow any user to activate controls selected. You can try
your line speed at 115200 and select /dev/modem for your modem port.

Go the the Communication tab and enter the number to your ISP in the phone
number location then go to the Networking tab. You will find a section that
says Maximum packet sizes and lists MRU and MTU. Enter 1500 for both of these,
then go to the PAP tab.

Create/Insert a new entry for with your username and password. Then click
Done.

Now select the Names tab from the netcfg window and enter the domain and DNS
entries for your ISP. Hit the Save button and go back to the Interfaces tab.
Click on the ppp0 line to select it and then click on the activate button and
you should hear your modem dial. Once it connects, you can ping a known site
like yahoo.com by going back to the terminal window and typing:

  ping yahoo.com

If you receive a bunch of information back with packet information then all
should be well. Let that run for a minute or two to make sure everything is
stable. Type control-C to stop the ping. Now you should be setup.

I hope this helps.

  Greg DaCosta