Re: question on swap...

Subject: Re: question on swap...
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 02:24:02 MST

The 2x RAM suggestion is just a rule of thumb, which in my opinion is
becoming somewhat dated. It has its origins back in the day when a machine
with double digit RAM was pretty impressive ;) Anyhow, there is nothing
special about doubling the RAM to compute swap space. Unless you have
some *very* special requirements, 128 MB swap is fine. If you need more
than that, you really need to buy more RAM instead, as a machine 100+ MB
into swap would lead to horrid performance in a multi-user environment.

If you have multiple drives and a good SCSI controller, there might be
some advantage in performance to having swap partitions on more than one
drive.

Jim

Chuq Von Rospach's bits of Sat, 5 Feb 2000 translated to: