7200 video again, using platinumfb

Subject: 7200 video again, using platinumfb
From: Walt Pesch (walt@solgrp.chi.il.us)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 10:38:30 MST

I've done the requisite banging-of-my-head-on-the-wall, help!!!

Mac 7200
NEC MultiSync 3V, 832x624, 75Hz under MacOS
        This is using a special adapter to convert VGA to Apple
video, I believe
        that this is all I can specify
4meg VRAM
Mac OS 8.1 then bootx 1.1.3
YDL 2.2.12.-2
XFree86-3.3.3.1-49b

Linux boots fine with no video driver loaded. If I attempt to use
the platinumfb driver (vmode=platinumfb), Linux boots but the video
display has a severe left slant. I do see white and green lines
telling me that it boots, and eventually I see the screen clear and
paint a login prompt (booting to text).

Regardless, I blindly type in root and the password and then "vmode
13 32". Video comes on with the foreground in green and the
background in blue. (What I mean to say is that video works now.)

If I try to run Xconfigurator, the first time in it sets the
background to a sickly mauve and follow-on times to a sickly green.
I click OK to get by the title screen. Probing found a:

        Name : Platinum
        Video Memory : 4 Meg
        Accelerated : No

For monitor I set NEC Multisync 3V, and 832x624, 24 bit.
Xconfigurator then tests the configuration which gives for a few
seconds about six teal lines horizontally across the screen, again
with the same severe slant. Xconfigurator then tells me that there
was an error with the configuration. And if I leave, I am back at
the normal root prompt and vmode says still "13 32".

.xsession-errors says XCharset: Wrong charset!

So, first of all for those who made it this far, thanks.

Second, how do I pass the vmode into the platinum driver? (I've seen
some postings about doing this with the atyfb driver but those tricks
don't seem to work with the platinumfb driver.

And third, how do I get Xconfigurator to pass?

    Walt