Re: Setting up a web server

Subject: Re: Setting up a web server
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 14:27:56 MST

Tim Long's bits of Mon, 7 Feb 2000 translated to:

>If I would like to set up my Linux box as a server using Apache would I
>just need to use the url my mapped IP adress gives with the 'http//:' in
>front: 'http://timsbox.uwic.ac.uk'?
By "mapped" do you mean mapped on your machine? Or mapped to your machine
by a valid name server somewhere? If those you wish to have visit your
site have a way of resolving timsbox.uwic.ac.uk to your IP address, then
what you mention above should work fine.

>Could I then divide the adress to give me further urls?
Not sure exactly what you mean by "divide". Are you talking about doing
something like timsbox.uwic.ac.uk, timsweb.uwic.ac.uk, etc.? Or
www.timsbox.uwic.ac.uk, www2.timsbox.uwic.ac.uk? If so, each of those
names must somehow be resolvable by your guests. If you just want to
do something like timsbox.uwic.ac.uk/home/, timsbox.uwic.ac.uk/work,
etc., then it shouldn't be a problem as long as timsbox.uwic.ac.uk
resolves.

>Do I need the help of the IT people at the university here to do this or
>can I do it all myself?
You probably need their help to make sure the name(s) resolve. If you
have already made it that far, then you should be able to do the rest
on your own.

Jim