RE: What is "normal" boot sequence from MacOS selector?

Subject: RE: What is "normal" boot sequence from MacOS selector?
From: Blottman John B III NPRI (BlottmanJB@Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 06:40:05 MST

John Wheeler <jw@mvmg.de> wrote:
>I have been having a problem booting an installation of Yellow Dog
Linux Champion-1.1. I get the error:

>VFS: Cannot open root device 00:00
>Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

This looks exactly like a problem I ran into due to user error. BootX
predefines the path to /dev. you must include /sdb5, NOT /dev/sdb5 in the
BootX text box.

>upon booting.
>
>Could someone please explain what the normal boot sequence for
linux is on the Mac? I assume that the problem is >that some part of the
kernel is responsible for bootstrapping the system from the partition given
in the BootX >application (in my case /dev/sdb5 ), but that this information
in not getting through somehow. The installation >appears to be o.k., and I
have set the BootX settings to point to the disk partition where I installed
linux.

Do you get any scsi timeout/reset error messages during boot? Linux likes
to renumber scsi busses alphabetically, rather than what traditional unix
does, e.g. Adaptec comes before Mesh,...so check to see that /dev/sdb points
to the correct bus & device.

>I thought that maybe my installation was corrupt, so I installed
LinuxDisks to be able to view the linux partitions. The >root partition is
where is should be, and it seems to have the right files - is there a list
of *essential* files at "/"?

>I also tried a different Kernel, and various versions of BootX, but
this didn't help.

Except for some of the newer machines, stick with kernel ver 2.2.6 that
comes with YDL CS 1.1 It is stable. Latest version of BootX is 1.2fc1 This
is compatible with the mac OS9 device drivers.

>Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is? Are there any
alternative boot programs? I'd be very grateful for >any information!

See http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/ for the latest BootX, and yaboot 0.5,
an alternative which uses Open firmware. For older hardware, BootX is your
only option.

>Thanks,
>
>John Wheeler.

good luck,