Re: Please help! "Unable to mount root fs" after install.

Subject: Re: Please help! "Unable to mount root fs" after install.
From: John Wheeler (jw@mvmg.de)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 06:58:37 MST

> > VFS: Cannot open root device 00:00
> >
> > Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00
> >
> > Rebooting in 180 seconds.
>
> What did you put in the root device window in BootX?
>
> Regards,
> Dan

Thanks for the reply! I entered "sdb5" in the box, so that the complete path
was "/dev/sdb5". I have confirmed using various tools (FWB hard disk
toolkit, pdisk, and LinuxDisks) that the root installation is on this
partition.

Should the boot screen show which partition it is attempting to boot from?
Is there any other way to boot into linux apart from BootX (I thought about
using the MkLinux booter, but I think the kernel on the MacOS side is
different and only works with MkLinux).

Can you think of anything else that could be causing the problem?

Thanks again,

John Wheeler.