Re: Studio Display 17" driver probs

Subject: Re: Studio Display 17" driver probs
From: Ken Tabb (ken@psy.herts.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 10:50:10 MST

Re: my Apple Network Server and Apple Studio Display 17"

And thus spake Kevin M. Myer at 8/2/00 1:45 pm:

>The video driver for the Cirrus chip onboard the ANS is less than optimal
>- it will only do 640x480 @ 8bit. Someone needs to rewrite it because the
>chip supports up to 1024x768. Anyway, only choose 640x480 as a video
>resolution with 8 bit color.

I've tried reinstalling from scratch (just in case there's something left
- call me paranoid) and just choosing this setting (8bit 640x480) but I
still get about 5-10 secs of Xserver booting (black and white pixel
background with 'X' cursor in middle of screen) and then it kicks back
out saying 'There is a problem with your X configuration. You may go back
and modify your configuration or exit now.' It just doesn't like me;
there's no other explanation.

>As far as rebooting, you need to specify where your root file system is.
>Thats why it is panicing. When you boot up, specifiy something like boot
><disk>:<partition> root=</dev/sd<disk:partition>, i.e "boot disk0:0
>root=/dev/sda2".
I was of course forgetting to do this!

On another note, does anyone know how to set OpenFirmware parameters back
to their defaults (other than removing the battery etc.)? I can list the
defaults with printenv, but the 'boot-file' parameter should be blank
(and thanks to my tinkering it isn't!)... do I just
setenv boot-file ' '
or is there a clearenv command etc?

Thanks in advance,
Ken

---------
Ken Tabb.
Mac & UNIX C/C++/Java developer (Health & Human Sciences),
Machine Vision researcher/programmer (Computer Science),
University of Hertfordshire, Herts AL10 9AB, England
Tel: (+44 / 0) 1707 286171 e-mail: ken@psy.herts.ac.uk
http://www.health.herts.ac.uk/ken/

Created in a Microsoft-free environment