Re: linuxppc or yellowdog linux or MachTen

Subject: Re: linuxppc or yellowdog linux or MachTen
From: David A. Gatwood (dgatwood@deepspace.mklinux.org)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 13:02:08 MST

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, NTR wrote:

> Which is better and why? It seems the quickest and cheapest entry is
> yellowdog linux for $25.
>
> iTools by Tenon is supposed to work with yellowdog. Maybe it works with
> any linux including linuxppc. If you know the answer, you win a
> million.....

*chuckles* Linux is linux. Stuff should be binary compatible across.
I'd be surprised if it didn't work. However, I've never heard of iTools,
so I can't say with certainty.

> Also, why might Tenon's MachTen be a better option than Linux?
> Apparently, its real Unix running, not a scaled down version which is
> linux. Right?

First, Linux is _not_ a scaled down unix. It is a unix _variant_. That's
two totally different things. Linux and unix are kind of like two brances
from the same tree. They're different, and neither is necessarily better.

Second, MachTen runs on top of MacOS. As a result, it cannot be
considered to be stable. Sorry, but no points there.

> Anyway, I am interested in running mySQL and PHP and am looking for the
> best platform to do so.

Any of the above except MachTen.

David