ppp and modem not initializing

Subject: ppp and modem not initializing
From: Dave Simms (dasimms@sprynet.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 19:51:47 MST

Hello,

I am having a difficult time getting my modem to initialize for my PowerBook
G3 266 internal 56K factory modem. I am running Champion Server 1.1
installed from the CD. I am (obviously) new with Linux, although I had no
problem with my RedHat distro on my Dell Inspiron.

What I have attempted so far... using RPPP dialer via XWindows. I attempted
to use every possible setting (modem speed and /dev/xxx). The majority of
the time I received the pppd unexpectedly quit error. Which I took to mean I
was probably pointing at the wrong device. On 115000 and /dev/ttyS0 and
/dev/ttyS1, I received the modem not initializing message.

I also tried echo atdt5551212 > /dev/xxx and did not hear my modem dialing.

I also searched through the ydl mailing list archives and while I did find a
lot on modems and ppp, I didn't find anything that answered my specific
needs.

Everything else is going quite smoothly.

Any help or perhaps a shove in the right direction would be appreciated.

tia,
Dave