iMac installation problems

Subject: iMac installation problems
From: Oscar Chavez (oc918@mizzou.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 11:27:02 MST

I installed YDL in an iMac (MacOS 8.6 333MHz), and after a couple of
minor problems, everything seemd to go fine. Then I booted the linux
os, and logged in as 'root' (I did not know how to create a user
account, I thought the installation program would ask me to create
one). I tried to start X, I got a nice looking desktop... and nothing
else. The mouse pointer was moving in jerky steps. I clicked
somewhere, and nothing happened, for a long time (I could hear the
machine reading the hard disk). Not knowing what went wrong, I
installed YDL all over again. This time, I got the following message
during the installation:

'Error installing package, cannot open RPM file for
XFree86-3.3.3.1-49b.ppc.rpm: No such file in directory.'

later, I got the following:

'There is a problem with your X configuration. You may go back and
modify your configuration or exit now.'

I tried both things, and could not figure out what to do.

I ended with a working linux os, command line interface. I can log
in, create user accounts, and play around a little (just a little, I
can only open pico and write some text files, write and run the
simplest python programs), but no X. What can I do?

I would gladly take a recommendation of a book. In the YDL page, they
say that a Red Hat book will do. Since I have no experience
whatsoever, I don't know which one will be best:

* Linux. Michael Kofler. Addison-Wesley.
* Using Linux. Bill Ball. QUE.
* Learning Red Hat Linux. O'Reilly.

TIA.

Oscar Chavez