Re: can't FTP to any other servers

Subject: Re: can't FTP to any other servers
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 17:18:49 MST

>Hello,
>
>I'm in trouble :-<
>I know it sounds strange, but it's happened ...
>
>I cannot FTP to any other server.
>I can connect the FTP server and I can type my username and passwasrd in,
>but, if I try like ls command:
>
>Remote system type is UNIX.
>Usng binary mode to transfer files.
>ftp>is
>200 PORT command succeddful.
>
>nothing appear after this. Then after a while, I get this kind of message:
>
>425 Can't build data connection: Operaton timed out.
>
>I think the server dosen't have problem, because I can do them from MacOS
>environment and it happens for all other server I try to connect from YDL.
>
>Yukiko Takiguchi @ Syracuse, NY

I'm guessing wildly here but FTP uses two TCP connections, one for the
control channel, ie the commands you type, and another for the data. I
can't remember what the control port is but I think it's in the
mid-hundreds. The data port though is dynamically allocated and is
frequently up in the 30000 sort of range.

What might be happening is that you've got a router or firewall somewhere
between you and where you're trying to get to that is blocking the higher
ports.

Can you FTP to yourself ok?

I make no promises that this is what's happening but it might be worth
looking in to. The solution would be to set up an FTP proxy on the firewall
or open the higher ports again.

I reserve the right to be utterly wrong!

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall
pete@surfaceeffect.com - http://www.surfaceeffect.com/