Re: IP chaining, masquerading or whatever.

Subject: Re: IP chaining, masquerading or whatever.
From: Cyril Niklaus (cyril.niklaus@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 04:34:18 MST

--On Mardi, 15 février 2000 1:43 -0600 Phil Kirschner <pak1@cec.wustl.edu>
wrote:
[snip]
> I want to hook my 100mbps card into the one port,
> hook a hub into the built-in 10mbps card, and connect machines to the
> hub, which will all share one Internet connection.
[snip]
> Can CS1.1 do this out of the box? How hard is it? Is what I want to
> do called masquerading or forwarding? Something else all together?

Indeed what you want to do is masquerade the hosts connected via the hub to
your router. You might want to go see this
<http://linux-firewall-tools.com/linux/firewall/index.html> as it should
get you started, help you build good firewall rules (which you'll
definitively need). As for running out of the box, I *think* it works, but
I'm not sure, as I always compile my own kernel. The options needed are
also described in the ipmasq HOWTO, which you should read as well.
good luck
cyril