Re: Internal modem that ships with B&W G3

Subject: Re: Internal modem that ships with B&W G3
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 17:02:00 MST

I had nothing but frustration with my apple internal modem until recently. I
think the modem or its interface to the motherboard, or the software we are using
to drive it has a problem with noisy connections. I used a U.S. Robotics 28,800
modem before I got the Blue G3, and it worked much better than the internal
modem.

I've also noticed that when the connection is actually dropped, and you can hear
a dial tone on the line, KPPP fails to notice. The throughput drops to zero,
but ppp still sends packets. You have to "disconnect", wait for the modem to
reset (a few seconds) and then re-connect.

But wait. something at my ISP or with my phone line, or my phone company, or the
company that provides transport from my phone company to the isp has changed
recently. I can now usually get good connections, but only at 28,880 - 33,600.
My phone is 26,500 feet from the Telco Central Office, and that's probably why I
can't do better than 33,600. Anyone with contrary information is invited to
contact me. If its reasonable to expect 40 or 50 k from a line that long, I'd
like to know about it so I can get my $100 back from Steve's crowd in Cupertino.

While the connection seems better than ever, it still goes down. I've noticed
that if I do something to keep the connection busy second to second, the
connection will stay in place almost indefinitely. If I do not, the connection
will get dropped. I don't know why.

Here's two things you can try to keep your connection active.

1. Ping the node you are connected to at your isp every second.

2. Get connected to an IRC server and open a reasonably busy chat session.

I've had connections stay in place up to 24 hours with either of these methods,
when without them, the connection would last only a few minutes.

When I do lose a connection, chances are I'm actively using netscape. I think
there's a connection between drops and heavy netscape usage. Intrerrupting an
http connection especially seems to kill things. (netscape 4.7)

--
Pat Callahan
Acton Ma USA