Re: Internal modem that ships with B&W G3

Subject: Re: Internal modem that ships with B&W G3
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 19:15:31 MST

Robert Fout wrote:

> I live about 10 miles from my ISP, and connect at 49333 with an external USR
> 56k modem connected to an 8100/80, and with my B&W G3, I connect at 45333.

Its not the distance to your ISP that counts, but the distance to your Telephone
Company Central office.
Your Isp probably has a direct digital connection to your telephone co central
office or one in an adjacent town. the length of the digital connections does not
matter. What matters is:

The length of the analog connection between you and your local telephone company
office. (there's usually at least one in each town)

Any equipment the telephone company uses to multiplex analog signals between you
and the central office.

The number of conversions of the signal from analog to digital in the path between
your phone and your ISP's modem. More than one and you're doomed to 33,600 land.

-Pat