Re: It works! But...

Subject: Re: It works! But...
From: Paul Schinder (schinder@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 07:41:22 MST

At 12:39 AM -0600 2/17/00, Phil Kirschner wrote:
>Hey all. Thanks so much for dealing with my CDR woes, but I am so
>close to my goal now! I compiled a new kernel, installed cdrecord
>and mkisofs, and I know I can mount the drive with:
>
>mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/burner
>
>I installed cdrtoaster, which provides a pretty little interface to
>the two programs above, but it isn't working. cdrecord sees the
>drive, i know from doing "cdrecord -scanbus" which yields: (amongst
>other things)
>
>scsibus1:
>1,5,0 105) 'SONY ' 'CD-R CDU948S ' '1.0h' Removable CD-ROM
>
>I tried to get cdrtoaster to do this:
>
>Make a backup CD from my /home directory. I wanted to call the CD homebackup.
>
>It generated this:
>
>mkisofs - joliet -volid homebackup /home | cdrecord -v -eject
>dev=/dev/scd0 speed=4 -data

Looks wrong to me. According to the man page for mkisofs, the Joliet
flag is -J. It's put a space in between - and joliet. I've no idea
what mkisofs will make of that, or what it will try to do.

>It didn't work. Anybody out there know why?

Anyone who's done "man mkisofs" can guess why.

A suggestion: stop using fancy tools until you get this working.
Learn how to use mkisofs and cdrecord. *Those* work. If your crutch
(cdrtoaster) is broken, as it appears it is, you'll be left in the
situation you're in right now, not knowing exactly where the problem
lies. You're also better off the first time using mkisofs to make an
image to disk if you have the space. You can then mount the disk
using the loopback interface (mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop cd_image
cd_mounting_dir) and check it out before you burn it.

--
Paul Schinder
schinder@pobox.com