BMAC and AGP G4

Subject: BMAC and AGP G4
From: Craig (craig@pom-dhcp-88-49.pomona.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 19:58:03 MST

I got Linux to boot on a sawtooth G4 by following the directions from
Benjamin Herrenschmidt. When I tried installing off the CD, the installer
couldn't find the built-in ethernet, and asked what driver to try. After
trying many of them with defaults since I didn't know what arguments it
may
need, I tried to find what kind it was and what driver to use. From
what I gather it is called bmac, but that was not an option on the
installer list. Figuring that I could reconfigure it later, I finished
installing but unfortunately couldn't really do much because the CD
version was all set for kernel 2.2.6, but the vmlinux.ibook.9 kernel is
2.2.14pre9(?) and the 2.2.6 kernel doesn't boot.

Has anybody else gotten this to work?
Thank you all for any help.

Craig