Re: ftp: connection refused?

Subject: Re: ftp: connection refused?
From: Andrew B. Arthur (arthur99@global2000.net)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 11:48:44 MST

Tim Long wrote:

<generic advice>

> I have installed ydl including the appletalk and ftp facilities. I can
> view my server on the appletalk network, I can ping it but can't ftp,
> 'connection refused'.

Are you sure that proftpd (or whatever ftp program you use is running).
Try restarting it's daemon using '/etc/rc.d/init.d/proftpd restart'.
Next check to make sure the FTP server is uncommented in
/etc/inetd.conf.

Finally make sure you have access to the FTP server (doh!) Check your
FTP's servers documentation how to do this.

> Could the IT people at the university turn this off?

They might be able to block FTP, although it's not likely that they did,
especially if you still can get http requests to the machine.

</generic advice>

--
Andrew B. Arthur | arthur99@global2000.net