atyfb with PowerMac 4400 Built in Video

Subject: atyfb with PowerMac 4400 Built in Video
From: Andrew B. Arthur (arthur99@global2000.net)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 10:17:26 MST

Hi.

I've had problems with atyfb on my PowerMac 4400 for the longest time...
when I use it text is pratically unreadable (it appears that every few
pixels are out of horizonal sync -- see
http://members.xoom.com/bsa89/mach64/yuck3.jpg for details.), in both
the console and XF68_FBDev. I should note that this effect is mainly in
lower resolutions/colors, higher bpp and colors I get werid color maps
and slow/unreguluar X refreshing.

While I haven't found any obvious wrong with my setup (making me believe
it's a problem with atyfb on PowerMac 4400 (and related models?).

To save you some time reading this email (because some of the log files
are long, I have put much more info here) >>
http://members.xoom.com/bsa89/mach64

I simply pasted some log files into Netscape composer and put them up
there -- I have included the following:

* cat /proc/pci
* /var/log/messages for a sample session of using atyfb on my machine
* ATI Mach64 Register Grab, using Ben H's ATIRegisterGrab Mac OS-based
tool.
* fb -i
* uname -a
* Type of Computer, etc.
* Links to other people with similar problems

Any other logs of interest?

At any rate, the reason I am intereted in getting this fixed, is while
Xpmac -mach64 offers accelerated video with offb, I still get slowish
console video, and XF68_FBDev is to slow to be useful (I want to use
XF68_FBDev again, since it has better support for two button mice [ie.
you can set it up so that left+right=middle mouse button), and dpms.
Plus Xpmac doesn't have a central configuration file to specify default
font path (you have to do this using some kind of arguments like -fp or
xset), and related X Settings.

--
Andrew B. Arthur | arthur99@global2000.net