Re: Successful Sofware RAID on g4 Sawtooth

Subject: Re: Successful Sofware RAID on g4 Sawtooth
From: Kevyn Shortell (kevyn@apple.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 14:43:22 MST

How about a play by play how-to so us poor unfortunates who've
yet to try, might be able to join in the fun? =)

Kevyn

on 2/18/00 9:38 AM, space aliens forced MacPiano@aol.com at MacPiano@aol.com
to write:

> After much time and emails and searching on the internet I have 3 drives
> software raided on my Sawtooth g4 at 450mhz. One is the stock apple ata drive
> and 2 ultrawide lvd2's. Thanks to Paulus for getting me in the right
> direction for getting the latest kernel sources and Ben for his work on the
> g4 stuff for the kernel. Thanks to Martin and hollis+ for their emails. And
> thanks to someone on linux-raid who gave me the address for the patch to the
> stock 2.2.14 which I applied to Paulus's 2.2.15pre7 kernel source anyways. It
> had one small rej but the kernel compiled flawlessly and when linux fired up
> there was the md 0.90 software RAID. From there the normal read mes got the
> raid going. As far as I know I'm the only one that has this going on a
> Sawtooth. If anyone else hs I'd like to hear from them. If anyone wants to
> post my kernel I'd be more than happy to send it to them.
> Thanks again
> gary hostetler

Kevyn Shortell Apple
Technology Manager Worldwide Developer Relations
kevyn@apple.com http://developer.apple.com/
"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left"