Re: Good tar.gz app

Subject: Re: Good tar.gz app
From: Ben Donley (bdonley@unchosen.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 02:11:52 MST

On Feb 22, 2000 at 07:24PM -0600, Robert Fout wrote:
> make install command should place the binary in a directory that programs go
> in (like the /bin, or /usr/bin or /local/bin etc.).
>
> try the these two commands:
>
> which <name of program>
> whereis <name of program>

Usually, these commands wont work until you've logged in again, and
re-scanned the $path. So, log in as root, "./configure;make;make install"
log out, log in as a regular user, and type the name of the program. Like
magic.

If you want to run it from KDE, it isn't very MacOS-like. You have to make
a sort of shortcut that, when you double click it, runs the program's name on
the command line for you. You still don't need to worry about where it's
installed.

If you don't want to log out, you can try "ls $path | grep MyProgram"
replacing MyProgram with the name (or part of the name) of your program, and
it will authoritatively tell you if it's installed or not.

If you don't like the command line, switch back to MacOS, and wait for MOSX.

Really.

> concerning your question.. source code for x86 linux programs should compile
> with minimal changes, unless they need specific hardware (I'm educated
> guessing this, can any programmers confirm or deny this?)

Usually, linux source isn't processor specific at all. I've never run into
anything simple that didn't work because of the processor. Endianness is
even taken care of by the ./configure process. Dependency issues, however,
are a fscking headache.

> There is an x86 emulator that will run x86 linux apps on PPC linux machine,
> but the name eludes me right now.

Yeah. Bochs. The "other" PowerPC Linux distribution comes packaged with
it. I don't know if it's open source or not. I don't even know if you can
download it from their site. If anyone gets Win2k running inside Wine on
Bochs, you are officially the most twisted individual I have never met.

Luck,
 - Ben