Re: yellowdog-general Digest 22 Feb 2000 00:11:29 -0000 Issue 81

Subject: Re: yellowdog-general Digest 22 Feb 2000 00:11:29 -0000 Issue 81
From: Jabari Adisa (adisa@flashcom.net)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 23:31:13 MST

Hello all. I posted this message a few months ago but I never did get
the matter resolved. I'm hoping there's someone on this list now who
can provide insight.

Thanks.

--BEGIN QUOTED MATERIAL--

               Yellow Dog Can't See My HD!
          Date:
               Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:29:28 -0700
   Newsgroups:
               comp.os.linux.powerpc

Hello All, thanks for taking the time to read this:

Machine Specs:
-Beige G3 333 MHz, 128 MB RAM, 9.1 GB UW SCSI HD (int), yadda yadda

External SCSI Devices
-UMAX Scanner
-Seagate Barracuda 2 GB HD

When running the Yellow Dog Champion Server 1.1 installer I never get
the SCSI Configuration window despite the fact that I have 2 SCSI
busses.

***********************************
* *
* BUS 0 MESH: 3 Devices *
* ----------------- *
* ID TYPE *
* ----------------- *
* 7 CPU *
* 6 UMAX Scanner *
* 4 Seagate HD *
* *
* *
* BUS 1 SYM53c875: 2 Devices *
* ----------------- *
* ID TYPE *
* ----------------- *
* 7 CPU *
* 0 IBM HD *
* *
***********************************

The installer simply skips past the appropriate window.

I want to install YD on the Seagate HD, but instead of offering that as
an option, the only HD that the installer/fdisk/pdisk will recognize is
the internal IBM HD (HFS+). This tells me that the installer is only
access Bus #1.

Any hints on getting past this? I'm not going to partition the internal
drive so that isn't an option.

Any ideas why the installer is only seeing BUS 1 and not both busses?

The HD is the terminated item. The Scanner is connected directly to the
Mac while the HD is connected ONLY to the Scanner. Could this be an
issue?

Now that I think about it... I've probably just solved the problem =).

Anyway... any further advice is appreciated. Thanks for your time and
energy.

--

Under MacOS TechTool Pro 2.5.1 lists the external drive as such:

FWB 2GB (HFS) Seagate ST12550N SCSI Bus 0 ID 4 Direct Access Device

--END QUOTED MATERIAL--