Re: Can't ftp, telnet, rsync, or NFS

Subject: Re: Can't ftp, telnet, rsync, or NFS
From: Jason P. Stanford (jps3@Lehigh.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 12:58:42 MST

After editing /etc/inetd.conf, you must force inetd to re-read the conf
file:

  % /etc/rc.d/init.d/inetd restart

Also, be sure that your /etc/hosts.deny says the following:

% cat /etc/hosts.deny
ALL: ALL

and that /etc/hosts.allow has something akin to (check to make sure I
have the daemon names correct!) These are roughly what I have, yours
will be different but the syntax is the same:

% cat /etc/hosts.allow

ALL EXCEPT in.telnetd \
    EXCEPT in.ftpd \
    EXCEPT portmap : LOCAL

in.telnetd: .mydomain.com .othertrusteddomain.com
in.ftpd: ALL
portmap: trustedhost.mydomain.com anotherone.otherdomain.org

Then, for NFS, you need to set up /etc/exports if you are making
available something on that machine to NFS, i.e.:

% cat /etc/exports
/usr/local/exports/foo trustedhost.mydomain.com(rw,no_root_squash)

You will have to RTFM's for what you need to do with NFS. I can't cover
every possibility here!

Hope this helps.