Re: Newbie woes again... Part 2

Subject: Re: Newbie woes again... Part 2
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 21:24:46 MST

Hi - With the newer versions of the FBDev Xserver, there is a problem with
setting depth to 32. My understanding is that this depth is disabled for
some reason. The result of using 32 is exactly what you saw in the output
of startx (not to say that couldn't be caused by other issues). The fix in
my case (using 3.3.6 on a PowerBook) was to stick with depths of 8, 15, or 24.
To make this change manually, find Section "Screen" in the XF86Config file.
There should be Subsection "Display" entries that include a Depth field. If
there is a DefaultColorDepth entry in the Screen section, make sure it is
set to something other than 16 or 32.

Jim

BondTrails@aol.com's bits of Fri, 25 Feb 2000 translated to: