Re: Nailed by PowerBook FireWire

Subject: Re: Nailed by PowerBook FireWire
From: Joshua DiMauro (ctfh@ziplink.net)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 17:35:42 MST

On 2/26/00, Jeff Ridder <jridder@gci.net> wrote:

> Hmm...how strange. I have Powerbook 333's and 400's and Apple hasn't told
> me to send them back.

> > "Paul J. Lucas" <pjl@barefooters.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I just talked to the salesman at Elite Computers. He said that
> >> the Lombards are no longer available and Apple told them to
> >> return all of them. (Sounds kind of weird to me, but...)
> >> Anyway, so I can't get one of those even if I wanted to.

Well, for the record, I know at least one local (NYC) CompUSA is selling the
Lombard Powerbooks at a discount right now. And given that the big warehouse
stores are also offering deals, and in the past, they've always continued to
sell their unused stock after an upgrade (333Mhz iMacs, etc) at a discount to
get rid of old inventory.

One thing to question is, the new Powerbooks ("Pismos") use a software DVD
decoder, as opposed to the old Lombard 400Mhz system, which used a hardware
system. (Yes, it had DVD.) How will this affect Linux on a Pismo, if at all?

Odds are very good, however, that they *will* get Linux running on the new
machine. This happened with iMac DV's, it happened with the iBook, now it's
Pismo's turn.