Re: linuxppc 2000 v. yellowdog linux champion server 1.2

Subject: Re: linuxppc 2000 v. yellowdog linux champion server 1.2
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 16:49:05 MST

> Broadly speaking, the two are (or better said, will be--neither is quite
> out yet) more or less the same, at least in terms of available software.
> Both are based on Red Hat 6.x, both have a Red Hat installer available,
> and so on. The kernel support for the iMac DV will be more or less the
> same, since both use the same kernel tree. LinuxPPC 2000 also supports
> direct-booting from CD on the iMac DV; I don't know if YDL CS 1.2 will,
> but I assume that it will do so.

Also, we're start to divert a bit from Red Hat in areas that we see fit.
We're also going to be RPM-compatible, and this is important. However, Red
Hat does necessary do everything "The Right Way" (TM).

> It depends on what you want to do. LinuxPPC 2000 is probably a little
> better for beginners, since its X GUI installer is generally easier to
> use than the Red Hat installer used with YDL CS. LinuxPPC 2000 has a new
> GUI Linux-native disk partitioner that's pretty nice IMO. But YDL CS is a
> little better for more advanced users (especially those wanting to run a
> server), given its greater concentration on that area. YDL also has a
> reputation for being a bit more secure than LinuxPPC's installation.

I would like to also point out that GUI != easier. This ia figment of your
imagination :) With the exception of LinuxPPC 2000's perldisk, their GUI
installer and the RH installer have the same exact steps. I'd also like to
point out that because we focus (right now) on our RH installer, it tends
to be stable and rocksolid.

> I guess you could say that LinuxPPC 2000 is essentially trying to be the
> OS for everything--server, workstation, PC--whereas YDL CS tries to
> concentrate on being a good server OS (YDL is bringing out a
> home-user-oriented version as well, Gone Home, at a later date). So if
> you want something more specialized, YDL is your thing; if you're wanting
> a more general-purpose OS, then you should probably get LinuxPPC.

If you want an OS that works, give us a try. :)
CS 1.2 has been in the works for some time. It has been tested over and
over and QA is very important to us.

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations and Parallel Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/