Re: linuxppc 2000 v. yellowdog linux champion server 1.2

Subject: Re: linuxppc 2000 v. yellowdog linux champion server 1.2
From: John L Grantham (jgrantha@hannover.sgh-net.de)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 16:59:52 MST

On 28/2/00 12:49 am, Dan Burcaw at dburcaw@terraplex.com was inspired to
say:

>> Broadly speaking, the two are (or better said, will be--neither is quite
>> out yet) more or less the same, at least in terms of available software.
>> Both are based on Red Hat 6.x, both have a Red Hat installer available,
>> and so on. The kernel support for the iMac DV will be more or less the
>> same, since both use the same kernel tree. LinuxPPC 2000 also supports
>> direct-booting from CD on the iMac DV; I don't know if YDL CS 1.2 will,
>> but I assume that it will do so.
>
>Also, we're start to divert a bit from Red Hat in areas that we see fit.

How so? (Just curious.)

>We're also going to be RPM-compatible, and this is important. However, Red
>Hat does necessary do everything "The Right Way" (TM).

Heck, no! You WILL do it the Red Hat Way(TM)! ;-)

>> It depends on what you want to do. LinuxPPC 2000 is probably a little
>> better for beginners, since its X GUI installer is generally easier to
>> use than the Red Hat installer used with YDL CS. LinuxPPC 2000 has a new
>> GUI Linux-native disk partitioner that's pretty nice IMO. But YDL CS is a
>> little better for more advanced users (especially those wanting to run a
>> server), given its greater concentration on that area. YDL also has a
>> reputation for being a bit more secure than LinuxPPC's installation.
>
>I would like to also point out that GUI != easier. This ia figment of your
>imagination :)

I don't really agree. If you're a beginner with Linux and are used to
GUIs, it's generally more comfortable to use a GUI, even if it isn't the
best one.

Trust me, I get along just fine with CLIs and the Red Hat installer, but
I still like to have the GUI when I can. Most Mac users I know look at
the Red Hat installer and have a heart attack, not because it's bad, but
because it's not something they're used to. I believe it's better to ease
people in gently and not confront them with something totally alien.
(Assuming of course that your goal is to bring more people to Linux.)

Besides, I was under the impression you're working on a GUI installer as
well?

>With the exception of LinuxPPC 2000's perldisk, their GUI
>installer and the RH installer have the same exact steps. I'd also like to
>point out that because we focus (right now) on our RH installer, it tends
>to be stable and rocksolid.

And I'm grateful for it. Stability is a Good Thing(TM). :-)

>> I guess you could say that LinuxPPC 2000 is essentially trying to be the
>> OS for everything--server, workstation, PC--whereas YDL CS tries to
>> concentrate on being a good server OS (YDL is bringing out a
>> home-user-oriented version as well, Gone Home, at a later date). So if
>> you want something more specialized, YDL is your thing; if you're wanting
>> a more general-purpose OS, then you should probably get LinuxPPC.
>
>If you want an OS that works, give us a try. :)

Now now, be nice. ;-)

>CS 1.2 has been in the works for some time. It has been tested over and
>over and QA is very important to us.

Yes, but then you lack the 63,001 bugs needed to outdo MS. :-)

cya

John

---

John Grantham | Freelance Graphic and Web Designer | Dipl.-Designer (FH) | Homepage: http://surf.to/multimedia | MacLinux: http://www.maclinux.de/