Re: different monitor resolutions

Subject: Re: different monitor resolutions
From: Richard White (maldoror@pacificnet.net)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 00:03:19 MST

>how can i change my monitor from its current 640x480 to 1024x768?

OK, I've resolved the monitor res issue on my machine using the
following procedure:

1) I pulled the battery on the motherboard along with the power
cables for around an hour, and pushed the power button several times,
so as to *completely* clear the PRAM.

2) I pulled the third party mouse and keyboard I had installed, and
reattached the standard Apple ones.

3) I downloaded the latest version of the kernel for a B&W G3, along
with BootX 1.1.3 and the latest ramdisk.gz I could find. I was
careful to download the .gz version of the kernel, and unzip it
locally using MacGzip.

4) I did a full reinstall of YDL from a local CD ROM, reformatting
everything and specifying the "check for bad blocks" option.

5) After all of this, it booted into YDL at 1024 x 768 res no
problem, and everything is working like a charm- no special kernel
args needed.

I've had a problem similar to this in the past- for some reason the
kernel I d/l'd was very mildly corrupted- not enough to stop it from
working, but enough to cause some frustrating weirdness. Anyhow, try
the steps above, and see if you don't get better results. Just an
idea....

Richard