Radically wrong keymap

Subject: Radically wrong keymap
From: Ian Miller (ian-ct@scientia.com)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 02:56:26 MST

I currently have a B&W G3, which will run kernel-2.2.6. However this does not
allow me to use either my printer or ZIP-drive (both USB). I am trying to get
a later kernel to run, but everytime I get a radically wrong keymap.
e.g. To reboot I type "4cg115k", which generates "reboot<return>".

I get this both with the pre-built kernel-2.2.12-2 from the 17-Dec-1999 CS1.1
'latest updates disc', and my rebuild of the same kernel.
[I have executed the /etc/sysconfig/keyboard changes descripted at
<http://devel.yellowdoglinux.com/rp_kernel.shtml>; I have also tried 2.2.14,
but under this the keyboard does not work at all.]
I have managed to run 'dumpkeys' under both kernels and they report
substantially the same keymap so it is not that level of translation that is
the problem.

My best guess is that it is due to it being a UK and not a US keyboard, and that
the kernel is failing to recognise it. Even under 2.2.6, two of the keys are
dead, the key above <shift> and left of <return> [engraved ' \ '/' | ' on a UK
keyboard] and the key to the left of 'Z' [engraved ' ` '/' ~ ']. These seem to
have keycodes 58 and 108 respectively. Accordingly this can be fixed under
2.2.6 using:-
xmodmap -e 'keycode 58 = backslash bar'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 108 = grave asciitilde'

The kernel reports the keyboard as being maded by 'Alps Electrics' and type
'M2452'.

Any ideas?

Ian