G4 problems

Subject: G4 problems
From: Craig (craig@pom-dhcp-88-49.pomona.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 18:44:55 MST

Howdy all,

On my agp g4,
I have gotten CS1.1 set up with the new vmlinux.benh.15 kernel and the
Xpmac.rage.usb.9 (I think) xserver. However, I am still having multiple
problems:

1) the built-in ethernet is sketchy. A couple of times, it was working smoothly
but then it started slowing to a crawl. I tried install-ssh, but it was taking
forever and I noticed that I could only get 1Kbps. I thought it might be
network congestion, but pinging the 486 on the same desk showed that lots of
packets were getting lost and out of order. The ethernet
works fine in MacOS 9.

2) I can't get more than 8bpp in Xpmac. I tried fooling with vmode
settings, and if I do that one or more sections of the screen repeat themselves
in columns. Something else I read about
Xpmac mentions setting the video mode in Mac OS first, which I have set
to 32bpp (or "millions of colors").

3) Even though it's 8bpp mode,
X makes the computer REALLY slow, particularly gnome.
Pressing the config panel button on the toolbar makes a window pop up, but
it takes 30 seconds or so. Within the gnome configure menus, any time I
highlight any of the configure sections like mouse or desktop, that
dialog also takes 20-30 seconds to fill in the right side.
At first I just whipped out something to read while I waited but then I
realized that this wasn't wintel: I shouldn't have to do that.

4) No sound at all.

5) The belkin 3-button usb mouse works in X, but if I don't unplug it while
at the console, I keep getting error messages about device disconnected. If
this could be the root of all my problems, then I'll get more specific about
the error msg, but since it more or less works, it doesn't really bother me.

Thanks for guiding me to the new kernel before and thanks in advance for any help
this time!

-Craig Radnovich