Re: contour design unimouse on '99 G3 pbook w/YDLCS 1.1

Subject: Re: contour design unimouse on '99 G3 pbook w/YDLCS 1.1
From: B (grisinge@cs.colostate.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 16:14:22 MST

>Hi. I'm trying to use a Contour Design Unimouse on a 1999 G3 powerbook
>running Yellow Dog Linux Champion Server 1.1.
>
>I found the RPM file at http://www.contourdesign.com/unidrivers.htm.
>However, it claims that kernel version <=2.2 is a dependency conflict.
>As far as I know all current stable linux kernels are version <=2.2 so
>this leaves few options. Help?
>
>More generally, despite references in this list's archives to Yellow Dog
>promoting the unimouse, it's clear that you can't just plug one in and
>expect it to run; but the closest thing I've been able to find to
>instructions for how to install it properly was Contour Design's "I'm
>assuming if you are a Linux user you know what to do with these files."
>Is there a better explanation somewhere? Would installing the rpm file
>with "rpm -U kernel-pmac-2.2.6-16b.ppc.rpm" be sufficient, if it
>worked? Or is there more involved?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>David Covin
>david@drozd.uchicago.edu
>Lab programmer, Margoliash Lab

I went in circles following dead links and bad instructions with that
too. Try this mouseconfig:
ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/software/mouseconfig/mousec
onfig-4.0-1a.ppc.rpm .
It seemed to work great for me. Before that I could get nothing to
work. As a note I am using 2.2.14pre16-imac. I just installed the
above rpm then ran mouseconfig. Check out
http://devel.yellowdoglinux.com/rp_kernel.shtml where it talks about
USB keyboard an mouse configuration.

--
-B