Re: contour design unimouse on '99 G3 pbook w/YDLCS 1.1

Subject: Re: contour design unimouse on '99 G3 pbook w/YDLCS 1.1
From: Stuart R. Hall (gasdocstu@my-Deja.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 20:20:25 MST

To reinforce what Dan said . . .

The "bronze" PB G3, Lombard, '99 G3, whatever you want to call it, *internally* uses ADB for the keyboard and trackpad. The built-in keyboard and trackpad work fine with linux kernel 2.2.6.

However, I think Apple did something funky when it implemented USB on these machines. I remember reading about problems with pre-OS-9 MacOS and USB on the PB G3. I don't know anything about what's going on, but since the other USB Macs seem to be working fine with 2.2.6 and external mice, there must just be something funky about the PBG3 that doesn't allow the Contour mouse to work even if you select a 3-button USB mouse with mouseconfig.

I've gotten it to work (with help from a very Unix-savvy friend) with kernel 2.2.14, but for some reason that kernel likes to crash my system.

Anyone else have experience with a stable kernel,
2.2.6 < kernel < 2.2.14?

Stuart

---
Stuart Hall
(sturob@swbell.net)
(gasdocstu@yahoo.com)
(gasdocstu@my-Deja.com)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 14:43:09 Dan Burcaw wrote: > >What type of system is this? Like I said before, if it is a '99 G3 pbook, >the stock kernel will not work for USB. The USB support in that kernel did >not work with the '99 pbook's USB ports. > >Dan

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- Share what you know. Learn what you don't.