Re: Open Ports

Subject: Re: Open Ports
From: Neil Jolly (njolly@home.com)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 22:43:14 MST

Darron Froese wrote:

> on 1/11/00 9:17 PM, Neil Jolly at njolly@home.com wrote:
>
> > portsentry running as well as a pretty well
> > configured ipchains based firewall, so any attempt to attach to these
> > ports gets rejected, but I'd much sooner have them closed. Does anyone
> > know a good way to find out what is opening these ports? Thanks !
>
> That's your key Neil - you've got portsentry running. It makes those ports
> "listen" even if you don't have the servers running.

I was wondering about that after I posted the message.

> As long as they go away when you kill the portsentry process - you shouldn't
> have to worry.

Sure enough all gone.

> Check in the /usr/local/psionic/portsentry/portsentry.conf file - you should
> see a list of ports that are pseudo active near the top - those are your
> mystery ports.
>
> Hope that helped at all.

Helped lots thanks Darron! Incidently the corporate NT server failed the scans
horribly with a difficulty rating of 0 and a taunting "Trivial Joke" comment
from nmap. We all got a laugh out of that as the big league coporate network
guys are pretty proud of there NT server.

--
Neil Jolly
Coming at from Yellowdog Linux - another MICRO~1 free OS!