Re: esd beeps but cd player no sound

Subject: Re: esd beeps but cd player no sound
From: Gilbert Fernandes (gilb@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 10:56:35 MST

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, you wrote:

> I just tried xplaycd today, and it won't play cd's as anyone but root. It
> doesn't seem to be able to detect the disc. Doesn't sound like that your
> problem, but it might be worth a try. My semi-permanent solution was to set
> the set-uid bit on xplaycd. Anyone got a cleaner solution?

First boot on MacOS. Once you have booted on MacOS, use BootX to boot under
Linux, and the CD player should work.

On my PowerBook, I have a selector to choose to what the internal speaker is
connected to: internal modem (so I can listen to the modem dialing), extension
bay and so on. When I want to listen to some music, I have to first start on
MacOS, and check that the "extension bay" is selected on my control bar. If I
turn on the PowerBook and directly start under Linux, I'll get no sound from
the CD-ROM reader.

I think it has something to do with sound initialization. Perhaps it's specific
to PowerBooks, so I may not work for you. Just try to start on MacOS first,
then use BootX and try.

--

(°- //\ Gilbert Fernandes v_/_ http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gilb/