Re: Announcing: XFree86 Xserver accelerated for Rage 128 from XFree86 3.9.17

Subject: Re: Announcing: XFree86 Xserver accelerated for Rage 128 from XFree86 3.9.17
From: Andrew B. Arthur (arthur99@global2000.net)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 11:17:05 MST

> > Neil Jolly wrote:

> > > Kevin Hendricks wrote:

> > > Can this be used with ATI Mach 64 yet?
> >
> > AFAIK, it can't since they haven't ported the mach64 acceleration code over to
> > the new modular XFree86 Xserver.
> >
> > Once I get the r128 module working, it should not be very hard at all to get a
> > mach64 version working.

Will this mach64 support work with hardware acceleration with no video
driver checked (like Xpmac) or will it require No Video Driver unchecked
(like XF68_FBDev?). The main problem with this is my Mach 64 built-in
video on my PowerMac 4400 is unreliable (even with using the 2.2.14
atyfb) using anything but video=ofonly or No Video Driver checked.

> > I just don't have a machine with a mach64 card in it
> > to test on. So once I get r128 wrapped up and start on mach64, would you be
> > willing to test it for me?

Sure. I wouldn't mind at all. Searching for my problem with Xpmac, gave
me a good look at how X servers work.

I did fix my xdm/kdm problem, it appears that for some reason
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers was refusing to honor a default font path set by
'Xpmac -fp "unix/:-1" -mach64' while in the 'startx -- -fp "unix/:-1"
-mach64' worked perfectly.

I fixed it by moving the 'fixed' font to one of Xpmac's default paths,
removed the -fp tag from /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and added 'xset +fp
"unix/:-1","unix/:7101";xset fp rehash' to /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0. It
worked great -- with the added benifit of incase either xfs or xfstt
failed without reason, it would not be fatel to X.

I had of course forgetten that I had moved some of the fonts from there
default location, since the last time I used Xpmac (January 1999
version)

I've been using Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev.6 for about a month now and it's
working well and it's fast [on my mach64 with no video driver checked]
(and great being able to do graphical logons again -- not that I often
have to logon -- when I am not around I just usually use xlock). I
installed Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev.8 last night with no problems at all.

A few things i have noticed with Xpmac that you might want to take a
look are refesh bugs in Netscape (sometime when you scroll up parts of
the page don't appear and sometimes selections leave unreadable stuff
behind (black or white pixels), it requires USB support to be compiled
in the kernel (eventhough you don't really need it on most machines with
Mach64 cards) other then those little things Xpmac.rage128.usb.rev8 is
working perfectly for me.

Thanks for improving and updating Xpmac.

Andrew B. Arthur | arthur99@global2000.net |