Re: SUID and ppp..

Subject: Re: SUID and ppp..
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 05:27:56 MST

The easy workaround:

su root
type your root password
kppp&
exit

suid is a bit that is set by chmod. It makes the file run as if it were
running from a shell logged in to root, even though it is invoked from your
personal account. chmod +s filename

I had problems getting kppp to work from a personal account even with the suid
bit set, so I just use the workaround of creating a terminal window and using
su to get to root, and then kicking off kppp in background. After doing this
you can exit from the shell and the terminal window will go back to your
personal account, but kppp will be left running.

By the way, can anyone explain why kppp might still not work from a personal
account even thought the suid bit is set? Seems like some file protection
thing is interfereing. Maybe files created as root with kppp before setting
suid are accessible only by root or something. I'll investigate if I have
time, but if anyone knows the answer...

-Pat