stumper with syslogd

Subject: stumper with syslogd
From: chuck's list account (cglist@mac-mgrs.org)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 15:45:00 MST

Ok folks, I'm stumped.

I'm trying to fix a sendmail/MLM problem and have run smack into
another one. The answer is probably staring me in the face, but after
wrestling yet again with sendmail, I'm probably too weakened to see
it...

I noticed that syslogd was not working right since my maillog(s) were
empty (and should have been filled with helpful error messages for me
to read and work on my *real* problem.... grumble...).

Firing off syslogd in debug mode produced the following (abbreviated
for clarity to the pertinent info) output:

#/usr/sbin/syslogd -d
Allocated parts table for 1024 file descriptors.
Starting.
Called init.
<lotsa stuff snipped -chuck>
leading char in action: /
filename: /var/log/boot.log
Called logerr, msg: cannot create /dev/log
logmsg: syslog.err<43>, flags 4, from localhost, msg syslogd: cannot
create /dev/log: Invalid argument
Called fprintlog, logging to CONSOLE /dev/console
cannot create /dev/log (0).
  0: 7F 7F X 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F X 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F 7F
7F 7F 7F FILE: /var/log/messages
  1: X X X X X X X X X X FF X X X X X X X X X X X
X X X FILE: /var/log/secure
  2: X X FF X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
X X X FILE: /var/log/maillog
  3: 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 WALL:
  4: X X X X X X X 7 7 X X X X X X X X X X X X X
X X X FILE: /var/log/spooler
  5: X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X
X FF X FILE: /var/log/boot.log
logmsg: syslog.info<46>, flags 4, from localhost, msg syslogd 1.3-3: restart.
Called fprintlog, logging to FILE /var/log/messages
syslogd: restarted.
Debugging disabled, SIGUSR1 to turn on debugging.

^C <-me
#

Of course I am about 25 miles from the console right now so haven't a
clue what is on the screen.

The 'cannot create /dev/log: Invalid argument' seems to be the show
stopper. I don't know why /dev/log can't be created. It shouldn't be
a permissions issue 'cause I can just do: 'touch /dev/log' and
presto, it appears. Of course that won't make syslogd work.

Somebody clue me in as I am punch drunk from writing my sendmail.cf
file by hand (yes, I am a moron who still hasn't grokked m4 'cause I
only wrestle with sendmail once every 3 years since 1989 and keep
saying 'next time i'll...... )

-chuck