Trouble with Compiling

Subject: Trouble with Compiling
From: Michael Joseph Beattie (mbeattie@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 11:57:30 MST

I have been trying for a while now to install the Gaim client for AOL
Instant Messenger on my BW G3 running YD Linux. (available at
http://www.marko.net/gaim) I managed to find instructions for this
procedure at www.linuxnewbie.org, but I have received a series of three
similar errors that I can't seem to resolve.

I manage to run tar and expand the .tar.gz file I downloaded, but I
receive the following error when I attempt to use the ./configure command:

checking for glib-config... (cached) no
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** you path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config

I get a very similar error for GTK and ESD immediately after. After these
three errors, the ./configure program seems to finish with creating
./config.status, Makefile and others. Unfortunately, these errors must
have some effect, becuase I am then unable to run the make command without
further, seemingly-related errors.

I have tried to run this process as both root and in an unpriviliged
account I have made for myself. I have also attempted downloading new
versions of GLIB and GTK from the YD Linux ftp server, but those RPMs tell
me that my software is up to date.

Is there something I'm missing? Will I not be able to install this
software on my machine? I have been running these commands in an xterm
window from within the gnome environment. Should I be? Is there somewhere
else I should be running them from? Was I correct to attempt the procedure
as root, or is that not necessary?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

--Mike Beattie
mbeattie@andrew.cmu.edu